Chris McLean - Leave room for the miracles only God can do
Group Leaders please note
- On Sunday we looked together at the Feeding of the five thousand. Our desire was to look at this familiar passage with fresh eyes and consider how we can grow in our confidence that God is a God of supernatural provision.
- Use the Questions and thoughts below to aid discussion in our groups from the teaching we received
- Please note that is not about completing all the questions but stirring faith filled dialogue among the group.
Reading: Matthew 14:13–21 Jesus Feeds the Five Thousand
- When Jesus heard what had happened, he withdrew by boat privately to a solitary place. Hearing of this, the crowds followed him on foot from the towns.14When Jesus landed and saw a large crowd, he had compassion on them and healed their sick.
- As evening approached, the disciples came to him and said, “This is a remote place, and it’s already getting late. Send the crowds away, so they can go to the villages and buy themselves some food.”
- Jesus replied, “They do not need to go away. You give them something to eat.”
- “We have here only five loaves of bread and two fish,” they answered.
- “Bring them here to me,” he said. 19And he directed the people to sit down on the grass. Taking the five loaves and the two fish and looking up to heaven, he gave thanks and broke the loaves. Then he gave them to the disciples, and the disciples gave them to the people. 20They all ate and were satisfied, and the disciples picked up twelve basketfuls of broken pieces that were left over. 21The number of those who ate was about five thousand men, besides women and children.
Ice Breaker Question
- Chris shared on Sunday the story of how one of his friends called this “The miracle of sharing” ...It’s so easy to explain away the miraculous works of God if we wish.
- But, this is an account of miraculous provision. Can you give testimony of Gods miraculous provision in your own life?
- (Give a short testimony to the group)
We said that:
What do you do?
John 6:5,6 tells us...
The next thing that can rob us of expectation of supernatural provision is being intimidated by how little we have
Mark 6:39 Then Jesus directed them to have all the people sit down in groups on the green grass. 40So they sat down in groups of hundreds and fifties.
- My next three points from this passage come from v19
- And he directed the people to sit down on the grass. Taking the five loaves and the two fish and looking up to heaven, he gave thanks and broke the loaves. Then he gave them to the disciples, and the disciples gave them to the people.
- How does thanksgiving grow our faith? How can we make more room for testimony and thanksgiving?
- God uses the disciples to be involved in the miracle.. How does this reflect Gods grace in miracles?
- He distributes it though the disciples. How willing are we to receive our miracle through one of Gods people? Or does it have to come from God direct for you? Remember, God chooses to get his work done through his Church (his body).
- Pray with faith for any needs among the group.
- Pray for faith to grow and press on so we may see God do greater things for us and through