The Source of our New Life: United with Christ
If you have trouble viewing this video, you can try watching it directly on Vimeo
Link to audio and sermon notes for The Source of our New Life: United with Christ
Download the PDF of the passage here: Colossians 2:8-23 Handout.
- Key: united with Jesus the head in death & resurrection / tradition of men
- Beware lest anyone carry you off as spoil
through philosophy and empty deceit,
according to the tradition of men,
according to the elementary principles of the world,
and not according to Christ.
- For in him dwells all the fullness of Deity in bodily form;
- and you have been made full in him,
who is the head of all rule and authority.
- Having stripped rulers and authorities,
he made a public display of them, triumphing over them in it.
- Therefore let no one judge you in food or in drink,
or regarding a festival or a new moon or Sabbaths,
- which are a shadow of things to come, but the reality [body] is of Christ.
- Let no one disqualify you [from the prize],
insisting on [false] humility and worship of angels,
taking his stand on [visions] he has seen,
puffed up without reason by his fleshly mind,
- and not holding fast to the head,
from whom all the body, nourished and knit together through the joints and ligaments,
grows with a growth that is from God.
- If you died together with Christ
from elementary principles of the world,
why, as if living in the world,
do you submit to regulations, 21”handle not, taste not, touch not,”
- (which all concern things destined to perish with use)
according to the commandments and teachings of men?
- These things indeed have an appearance of wisdom
in self-imposed religion, [false] humility, and severity to the body,
but are of no value against the indulgence of the flesh.