Richard & Tricia Bristow - Forgiveness
- Matthew 18:21-35 – Parable of Unmerciful Servant
- Matthew 6:9-15 – Lord’s Prayer > Forgive us as we forgive others
- Colossians 3:12-14 – Bear with one another - Forgive as the Lord forgave you
- Luke 17:1-4 – Continuously forgive
- Un-forgiveness can lead to Bitterness
- Hebrews 12:15 - See to it that no one misses the grace of God and that no bitter root grows up to cause trouble and defile many.
- Destructive force in our lives
- Like a POISON on the inside
- Torments us
- Defiles many
- Involves judgment
- Matthew 7:1-2 – Judgment produces judgment
- Bitterness affects the mind with Negative Expectancies – i.e. no one ever listens to me
- Galatians 6:7-8 – Reap what you sow
- Desire for a clean heart!
- Colossians 3:12-14
- Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity.
- Freedom is possible—
- Recognize Un-Forgiveness / Bitterness
- Renounce Judgments / Lies
- Pray for Restoration & Renewal
- Bless those you are forgiving
Lord, I recognize I have not forgiven _____ for _____. This has become a bitterness in my heart, which is like a poison in my life and has defiled others. I recognize that I have judged him/her and in so doing I am reaping what I have sown and so have locked myself into being judged.
I repent for the sinful ways I’ve reacted and for the ways in which I have hurt others. I repent for holding bitterness and judgment in my heart. I repent for defiling others in this way and not receiving Your love and grace to help me.
I recognize that he/she is a part of Your creation and that it is his/her behavior which is sinful. I choose to forgive him/her for hurting me, and I choose to release my right to hold this offense against him/her, knowing it is up to You only to judge all of us.
Lord Jesus, I choose to renounce the judgment I made. I break agreement with it and ask You to forgive me for judging _____. I choose to forgive, and release my anger and bitterness to You, Lord. Please remove it from my heart and bring my emotions into agreement with my choice to forgive. Please fill me with Your love and grace. I want to sow and reap Your goodness.
I pray that You will reveal to me any lie the enemy told me in this hurt. Reveal your truth to me. I renounce and break agreement with this lie.
Lord Jesus, please restore my heart and renew my mind with Your truth. Please take away any associated pain. Help me with Your love and grace to bless him/her.
- Be continuously filled with God’s Love & Grace
- Forgive quickly!
Updated on 2010-01-29 by Richard Bristow