Full sermon notes - The Christmas Story
The Christmas Story
- I’m going to show a ten min video of clips taken from the Nativity movie
- I actually own the full movie, but what I’ve done here is put together a set of free clips and trailers from the internet
- Three main points from the video
- The world was not very pleasant place to live in those days (Romans etc.)
- Mary was a virgin—which had lots of complications! (we often don’t really think about these)
- Mary and Joseph were very ordinary people with emotions like the rest of us.
- I want to talk about one point that the video made, that Jesus was born of a virgin
- Now why would that be important?
- some people say it’s just a metaphor
- Actually, everything hinges on this.
- If Joseph, or someone else, was Jesus’ father, then really there is no point to Christianity
- Jesus was just a good man
- His teachings are just something to be put alongside other good teachings
- His death was no more than a good man dying, as good men often do
What hope is there for mankind: There are two views
- We have to reach up to something better
- Somehow mankind has to rise above itself by our own effort
- Our only hope is for God to reach down and help us.
- Jesus’ birth was a result of God reaching down to us, rather than we reaching up to God
- Mat 4:16 “the people dwelling in darkness have seen a great light, and for those dwelling in the region and shadow of death, on them a light has dawned.”
- How do you get rid of darkness
- If I have a box here, filled with darkness,
- how should I get rid of it?
- open the box!
- Shine the light
What the Bible teaches is that:
- The birth of Jesus was a wonderful free gift of God
- He was willing to become one of us in order to help us
- This is why it had to be the way it did, with
- being born in a dirty animal-building
- having shame associated with his birth
- as he grew up having to work with his hands and not being wealthy
- If he had been born into some great king’s household, then he could not have identified with you and me
- Finally his death was able to pay the price to rescue billions of people because it was not an ordinary human death
We are here to celebrate!
- This is amazing good news, that God loves us so much to give us this gift!
- This is why we celebrate at this time of year
- Have a wonderful Christmas!
How do we respond to the light?
- what happens if I have a box full of creepy crawly insects and I shine a bright light into it?
- Some people came to Jesus and he took away their darkness and gave them light
- Some people hated the light
- John 3:19–21
- And this is the judgment: the light has come into the world, and people loved the darkness rather than the light because their deeds were evil.
- For everyone who does wicked things hates the light and does not come to the light, lest his deeds should be exposed.
- But whoever does what is true comes to the light, so that it may be clearly seen that his deeds have been carried out in God.”
- What are you going to do?
- Come to the light and have your dark hearts dealt with!