Andrew Fountain - Belonging and Rejection
1. Belonging and Rejection
- What does it mean to have a sense of “abandonment”?
- I don’t belong
- There is nobody like me
- I am different
- I don’t fit
- I don’t have anywhere that is really “home”
- I am rejected and abandoned
- There is nobody to take care of me if everything goes bad
- David wrote in Psalm 41
- All who hate me whisper insults about me to one another; they plan ways to harm me.
- Even my close friend whom I trusted, he who shared meals with me, has turned against me.
- Isaiah 53:3
He was despised and rejected by men;
a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief;
one from whom people hid their faces
he was despised, and we valued him as nothing.
2. A New Community
- John 17:9-24 —probably the most amazing prayer in the whole of the Bible
- Promise of the Holy Spirit in John 14:16-23
- John Wyndham’s Midwich Cuckoos
- New “body” Ephesians 4:1-7
- A very powerful image of how this works: 1 Corinthians 12:4-27
3. Receiving this
- You need to belong to Jesus to have his Spirit
- It is by faith in Jesus’ words that we enter into this
Updated on 2009-07-19 (r.25) by Andrew Fountain