- My God, my God, why have you abandoned me?
I groan in prayer, but help seems far away.
- My God, I cry out during the day,
but you do not answer,
and during the night my prayers do not let up.
- You are holy;
you sit as king receiving the praises of Israel.
- In you our ancestors trusted;
they trusted in you and you rescued them.
- To you they cried out, and they were saved;
in you they trusted and they were not disappointed.
- But I am a worm, not a man;
people insult me and despise me.
- All who see me taunt me;
they mock me and shake their heads.
- They say,
“Commit yourself to the LORD!
Let the LORD rescue him!
Let the LORD deliver him, for he delights in him.”
- Yes, you are the one who brought me out from the womb
and made me feel secure on my mother’s breasts.
- I have been dependent on you since birth;
from the time I came out of my mother’s womb you have been my God.
- Do not remain far away from me,
for trouble is near and I have no one to help me.
- Many bulls surround me;
powerful bulls of Bashan hem me in.
- They open their mouths to devour me
like a roaring lion that rips its prey.
- My strength drains away like water;
all my bones are dislocated;
my heart is like wax;
it melts away inside me.
- The roof of my mouth is as dry as a piece of pottery;
my tongue sticks to my gums.
You set me in the dust of death.
- Yes, wild dogs surround me —
a gang of evil men crowd around me;
like a lion they pin my hands and feet.
- I can count all my bones;
my enemies are gloating over me in triumph.
- They are dividing up my clothes among themselves;
they are rolling dice for my garments.
- But you, O LORD, do not remain far away!
You are my source of strength! Hurry and help me!
- Deliver me from the sword!
Save my life from the claws of the wild dogs!
- Rescue me from the mouth of the lion,
and from the horns of the wild oxen!
You have answered me!
- I will declare your name to my countrymen!
In the middle of the assembly I will praise you!
- You loyal followers of the LORD, praise him!
All you descendants of Jacob, honor him!
All you descendants of Israel, stand in awe of him!
- For he did not despise or detest the suffering of the oppressed;
he did not ignore him;
when he cried out to him, he responded.
- You are the reason I offer praise in the great assembly;