- Joshua said to the Israelites, “Come here and listen to the words of the LORD your God.
- This is how you will know that the living God is among you…
- …as soon as the priests who carry the ark of the LORD—the Lord of all the earth—set foot in the Jordan, its waters flowing downstream will be cut off and stand up in a heap.”…
- Now the Jordan is at flood stage all during harvest. Yet as soon as the priests who carried the ark reached the Jordan and their feet touched the water’s edge,
- the water from upstream stopped flowing. It piled up in a heap a great distance away, at a town called Adam in the vicinity of Zarethan, while the water flowing down to the Sea of the Arabah (the Salt Sea) was completely cut off. So the people crossed over opposite Jericho.
- The priests who carried the ark of the covenant of the LORD stood firm on dry ground in the middle of the Jordan, while all Israel passed by until the whole nation had completed the crossing on dry ground.
- When the entire nation was on the other side, the LORD told Joshua,
- “Select for yourselves twelve men from the people, one per tribe.
- Instruct them, ‘Pick up twelve stones from the middle of the Jordan, from the very place where the priests stand firmly, and carry them over with you and put them in the place where you camp tonight.’ ”
- The stones will be a reminder to you. When your children ask someday, ‘Why are these stones important to you?’
- tell them how the water of the Jordan stopped flowing before the ark of the covenant of the LORD. When it crossed the Jordan, the water of the Jordan stopped flowing. These stones will be a lasting memorial for the Israelites.”
- Now Joshua set up in Gilgal the twelve stones they had taken from the Jordan.
- He told the Israelites, “When your children someday ask their fathers, ‘What do these stones represent?’
- explain to your children, ‘Israel crossed the Jordan River on dry ground.’
- For the LORD your God dried up the water of the Jordan before you while you crossed over. It was just like when the LORD your God dried up the Red Sea before us while we crossed it.
- He has done this so all the nations of the earth might recognize the LORD’s power and so you might always obey the LORD your God.”
based on NET Bible