- It is very EASY for us to tell someone to be strong and have courage.
“It’s ok Joshua, don’t worry about all those armies, be strong, have courage!!”
- Similarly people can say to us:
“You’re a Christian, cheer up, everthing will be alright, all things are working out for your good.”
- But this was not EMPTY ENCOURAGEMENT
- It was backed up with some tremendous statements from GOD :-
- v5 “No man will be able to stand before you”
- also v5 “I will not leave you nor forake you”
- but someone might object – these promises were for Joshua, not for us. But Heb 13:5!
- v5 “As I was WITH Moses, so I will be WITH you”
(Red sea, water from rock, Mana...
God says to you “as with Paul, Peter, John...)
- v9 “Have not I commanded you?”
- It is GOD who has said this, not anybody.
supposing you were in a dangerous part of a big city, late at night.
and a little boy offered to walk home with you
but suppose a police cruiser happened to stop and offer
this is the Infinite Creator of the universe
- But we must Believe it
No good saying, “O yes I know that these things are true, but so what”
- To live a successful Christian life, we must BE AWARE, REALLY KNOW
that the ALMIGHTLY, ALL POWERFUL GOD, is ACTUALLY BY OUR SIDE.
It is HE who tells us to have courage.
(we might not necessarily feel his presence all the time. But real faith doesnot need the feelings.)
- So, to sum up,
- Joshua’s problems are similar to our problems
- God’s solutions are:
- Total devotion to the Scriptures
- Strength and Courage Coming from a Trust in Himself
- I’ll close by readling v7–9