- When Israel was a child, I loved him,
and out of Egypt I called my son.
- But the more I called them,
the farther they departed from me.
They sacrificed to the Ba’al idols
and burned incense to images.
- Yet it was I who taught Ephraim to walk;
I took them up by their arms,
but they did not know that I healed them.
- I led them with cords of kindness,
with the bands of love…
- My people are obsessed with turning away from me;
they call to Ba’al, but he will never exalt them!
- How can I give you up, O Ephraim?
How can I hand you over, O Israel?
How can I make you like Admah?
How can I treat you like Zeboiim?
My heart recoils within me;
my compassion grows warm and tender.
- I will not execute my burning anger;
I will not again destroy Ephraim;
for I am God and not a man—the Holy One in your midst,
and I will not come in anger.
- They shall follow the LORD;
he will roar like a lion;
when he roars,
his children shall come trembling from the west;
- they shall come trembling like birds from Egypt,
and like doves from the land of Assyria,
and I will return them to their homes,
declares the LORD.
NET Bible + ESV