- He said also to the man who had invited him, “When you give a dinner or a banquet, do not invite your friends or your brothers or your relatives or rich neighbors, lest they also invite you in return and you be repaid.
- But when you give a feast, invite the poor, the crippled, the lame, the blind,
- and you will be blessed, because they cannot repay you. You will be repaid at the resurrection of the just.”
- Therefore be imitators of God, as beloved children.
- And walk in love, as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us, a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.
- So if there is any encouragement in Christ, any comfort from love, any participation in the Spirit, any affection and sympathy,
- complete my joy by being of the same mind, having the same love, being in full accord and of one mind.
- Do nothing from rivalry or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves.
- Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others.
- Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus,
- I therefore, a prisoner for the Lord, urge you to walk in a manner worthy of the calling to which you have been called,
- with all humility and gentleness, with patience, bearing with one another in love,
- eager to maintain the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.
- Put on then, as God’s chosen ones, holy and beloved, compassion, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience,
- bearing with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive.
- And above all these put on love, which binds everything together in perfect harmony.
1 Thessalonians 5
- And we urge you, brothers, admonish the idle, encourage the fainthearted, help the weak, be patient with them all.
- But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law.
- Now the works of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity, depravity,
- idolatry, sorcery, hostilities, strife, jealousy, outbursts of anger, selfish rivalries, dissensions, factions,
- envying, murder, drunkenness, carousing, and similar things. I am warning you, as I had warned you before: Those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God!
- But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,
- gentleness, and self-control. Against such things there is no law.
- Now those who belong to Christ have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.
Updated on 2009-10-04 (r.79) by Andrew Fountain