The Promise of the New Covenant: Jeremiah 31:31-34 and Ezekiel 36:25-28
- “Behold, the days are coming, declares the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and the house of Judah,
- not like the covenant that I made with their fathers on the day when I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt, my covenant that they broke, though I was their husband, declares the Lord.
- But this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, declares the Lord: I will put my law within them, and I will write it on their hearts. And I will be their God, and they shall be my people.
- And no longer shall each one teach his neighbor and each his brother, saying, ‘Know the Lord,’ for they shall all know me, from the least of them to the greatest, declares the Lord. For I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.”
- I will sprinkle clean water on you, and you shall be clean from all your uncleannesses, and from all your idols I will cleanse you.
- And I will give you a new heart, and a new spirit I will put within you. And I will remove the heart of stone from your flesh and give you a heart of flesh.
- And I will put my Spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes and be careful to obey my rules.
- You shall dwell in the land that I gave to your fathers, and you shall be my people, and I will be your God.
Updated on 2009-08-23 by Andrew Fountain