- Τοῦτο οὖν λέγω This therefore I say
καὶ μαρτύρομαι ἐν κυρίῳ, And I insist in the Lord
μηκέτι ὑμᾶς περιπατεῖν καθὼς καὶ τὰ ἔθνη περιπατεῖ that you must no longer walk as the Gentiles walk
ἐν ματαιότητι τοῦ νοὸς αὐτῶν, in the meaninglessness of their thinking
- ἐσκοτωμένοι τῇ διανοίᾳ ὄντες, darkened in their understanding
ἀπηλλοτριωμένοι τῆς ζωῆς τοῦ θεοῦ, alienated from the life that comes from God
διὰ τὴν ἄγνοιαν τὴν οὖσαν ἐν αὐτοῖς, because of the ignorance that is in them,
διὰ τὴν πώρωσιν τῆς καρδίας αὐτῶν, because of the hardness of their hearts;
- οἵτινες ἀπηλγηκότες ἑαυτοὺς παρέδωκαν τῇ ἀσελγείᾳ becoming callous, they gave themselves over to self-indulgence
εἰς ἐργασίαν ἀκαθαρσίας πάσης ἐν πλεονεξίᾳ. doing every kind of impurity, and greedy for more
- ὑμεῖς δὲ οὐχ οὕτως ἐμάθετε τὸν Χριστόν, But you did not learn Christ this way
- εἴ γε αὐτὸν ἠκούσατε καὶ ἐν αὐτῷ ἐδιδάχθητε, given that him you have heard and in him you were taught:
καθώς ἐστιν ἀλήθεια ἐν τῷ Ἰησοῦ, (since the truth is in Jesus),
- ἀποθέσθαι ὑμᾶς κατὰ τὴν προτέραν ἀναστροφὴν τὸν παλαιὸν ἄνθρωπον to take off the old self, belonging to your former behavior
τὸν φθειρόμενον κατὰ τὰς ἐπιθυμίας τῆς ἀπάτης, corrupted by deceptive desires
- ἀνανεοῦσθαι δὲ τῷ πνεύματι τοῦ νοὸς ὑμῶν, to be renewed by the Spirit in your mind,
- καὶ ἐνδύσασθαι τὸν καινὸν ἄνθρωπον τὸν κατὰ θεὸν κτισθέντα to put on the new self created after the likeness of God
ἐν δικαιοσύνῃ καὶ ὁσιότητι τῆς ἀληθείας.in righteousness and truthful pure behavior
- Διὸ ἀποθέμενοι τὸ ψεῦδος Therefore having put off falsehood
λαλεῖτε ἀλήθειαν ἕκαστος μετὰ τοῦ πλησίον αὐτοῦ, let each one of you speak the truth with his neighbour,
ὅτι ἐσμὲν ἀλλήλων μέλη. for we are members one of another.
- ὀργίζεσθε καὶ μὴ ἁμαρτάνετε· Be angry and do not sin;
ὁ ἥλιος μὴ ἐπιδυέτω ἐπὶ [τῷ] παροργισμῷ ὑμῶν, do not let the sun go down on your anger
- μηδὲ δίδοτε τόπον τῷ διαβόλῳ. Do not give an opportunity to the devil.
- ὁ κλέπτων μηκέτι κλεπτέτω, Let the stealer steal no longer;
μᾶλλον δὲ κοπιάτω ἐργαζόμενος ταῖς [ἰδίαις] χερσὶν τὸ ἀγαθόν, rather let him labour, doing honest work with his own hands
ἵνα ἔχῃ μεταδιδόναι τῷ χρείαν ἔχοντι. that he may have something to share with anyone in need
- πᾶς λόγος σαπρὸς ἐκ τοῦ στόματος ὑμῶν μὴ ἐκπορευέσθω, Let no corrupting talk leave your mouths,
ἀλλὰ εἴ τις ἀγαθὸς πρὸς οἰκοδομὴν τῆς χρείας, but only what is good for building up the person who needs it,
ἵνα δῷ χάριν τοῖς ἀκούουσιν. that it may give grace to those who hear.
- καὶ μὴ λυπεῖτε τὸ πνεῦμα τὸ ἅγιον τοῦ θεοῦ, And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God,
ἐν ᾧ ἐσφραγίσθητε in whom you were sealed
εἰς ἡμέραν ἀπολυτρώσεως. for the day of redemption.
- πᾶσα πικρία καὶ θυμὸς καὶ ὀργὴ καὶ κραυγὴ καὶ βλασφημία ἀρθήτω ἀφ’ ὑμῶν σὺν πάσῃ κακίᾳ. Let all bitterness and rage and anger and shouting and slander be put away from you, along with all malice.
- γίνεσθε [δὲ] εἰς ἀλλήλους χρηστοί, εὔσπλαγχνοι, χαριζόμενοι ἑαυτοῖς Become kind to one another, tenderhearted, showing grace to one another,
καθὼς καὶ ὁ θεὸς ἐν Χριστῷ ἐχαρίσατο ὑμῖν. just as God in Christ showed grace to you
- γίνεσθε οὖν μιμηταὶ τοῦ θεοῦ, ὡς τέκνα ἀγαπητά, Therefore be imitators of God, as beloved children.
- καὶ περιπατεῖτε ἐν ἀγάπῃ, καθὼς καὶ ὁ Χριστὸς ἠγάπησεν ἡμᾶς And walk in love, just as Christ loved us
καὶ παρέδωκεν ἑαυτὸν ὑπὲρ ἡμῶν προσφορὰν καὶ θυσίαν τῷ θεῷ εἰς ὀσμὴν εὐωδίας. and gave himself up for us, an offering and sacrifice to God for a fragrant aroma.