- The word of the Lord came to me:
- “Son of man, say to the prince of Tyre, ‘This is what the sovereign Lord says:
“ ‘Your heart is proud and you said, “I am a god;
I sit in the seat of gods, in the heart of the seas”—
yet you are a man and not a god,
though you think you are godlike.
- Look, you are wiser than Daniel;
no secret is hidden from you.
- By your wisdom and understanding you have gained wealth for yourself;
you have amassed gold and silver in your treasuries.
- By your great skill in trade you have increased your wealth,
and your heart is proud because of your wealth.
- “ ‘Therefore this is what the sovereign Lord says:
Because you think you are godlike,
- I am about to bring foreigners against you, the most terrifying of nations.
They will draw their swords against the grandeur made by your wisdom,
and they will defile your splendor.
- They will bring you down to the pit, and you will die violently in the heart of the seas.
- Will you still say, “I am a god,” before the one who kills you—
though you are a man and not a god—
when you are in the power of those who wound you?
- You will die the death of the uncircumcised by the hand of foreigners;
for I have spoken, declares the sovereign Lord.’ “
Updated on 2009-10-25 (r.89) by Andrew Fountain