This slide scrolls down.
A. “In a little while…” Click to expand
- In a little while you will see me no longer; again in little while, you will see me.”
B. Disciples are confused, “In a little while” ? Click to expand
- Then some of his disciples said to one another, “What is the meaning of what he is saying,
‘In a little while you will not see me; again in a little while, you will see me,’ and, ‘because I am going to the Father’?” 18So they kept saying, “What is the meaning of what he says,
‘In a little while’? We do not understand what he is saying.”
C. Picture language: like a mother giving birth Click to expand
- Jesus saw that they wanted to ask him about these things, so he said to them, “Are you asking each other about this—that I said,
‘In a little while you will not see me; again in a little while, you will see me’?
- I tell you the truth, you will weep and mourn, but the world will rejoice;
you will be sad, but your sadness will turn into joy.
- When a woman gives birth, she has distress because her time has come,
but when her child is born, she no longer remembers the suffering because of her joy that a human being has been born into the world.
- So also you have sorrow now,
but I will see you again, and your hearts will rejoice, and no one will take your joy away from you.
D. Your joy will be complete – the Father will hear your prayers Click to expand
- At that time you will ask me nothing. I tell you the truth:
whatever you ask the Father in my name he will give you.
- Until now you have not asked for anything in my name.
Ask and you will receive it, so that your joy may be complete.
C. Plain Language: I’m returning to the Father, and he loves you! Click to expand
- “I have told you these things in obscure figures of speech;
A time is coming when I will no longer speak to you in obscure figures,
but will tell you plainly about the Father.
- At that time you will ask in my name,
and I do not say that I will ask the Father on your behalf.
- For the Father himself loves you dearly, because you have dearly loved me
and have believed that I came from God.
- I came from the Father and entered into the world,
but now, I am leaving the world and going back to the Father.”
B. Disciples no longer confused Click to expand
- His disciples said, “Look, now you are speaking plainly and not in obscure figures of speech!
- Now we know that you know everything and do not need anyone to ask you anything.
Because of this we believe that you have come from God.”
A. “A time is coming… but take courage—I have conquered the world!” Click to expand
- Jesus replied, “Do you now believe? 32Look, a time is coming—and has come—when you will be scattered, each one to his own home, and I will be left alone.
Yet I am not alone, because my Father is with me.
- I have told you these things so that you may have peace in me.
In the world you have trouble and suffering, but take courage—I have conquered the world.”
Translation by Andrew Fountain