- “If you love me, you will obey my commandments.
- Then I will ask the Father,
and he will give you another Companion to dwell with you forever
- the Spirit of truth whom the world cannot receive,
because it does not see him or know him.
But you know him,
because he dwells with you and will be in you.
- “I will not abandon you as orphans, I will come to you.
- In a little while the world will see me no longer,
but you will see me; because I live, you will live too.
- At that time you will know that I am in my Father and you are in me and I am in you.
- The one who has my commandments and obeys them is the one who loves me.
The one who loves me will be loved by my Father,
and I will love them and will reveal myself to them.”
- Judas (not Iscariot) said to him,
“Lord, how is it that you are going to reveal yourself to us and not to the world?”
- Jesus replied,
“If anyone loves me, they will obey my teaching,
and my Father will love them,
and we will come to them and make our dwelling place with them.
- The one who does not love me does not obey my teachings.
And the teaching you hear is not mine, but the Father’s who sent me.
- “These things I have spoken while dwelling with you.
- But the Companion, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name,
will teach you everything,
and will cause you to remember everything I said to you.
- “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you;
not as the world gives do I give it to you.
Do not let your hearts be troubled or be fearful.
- You heard me say to you, ‘I am going away and I am coming back to you.’
If you loved me, you would rejoice that I am going to the Father,
because the Father is greater than I am.
- I have told you now before it happens, so that when it happens you may believe.
- I will not speak with you much longer, for the ruler of this world is coming.
He has no power over me,
- But that the world may know that
I love the Father, exactly as the Father commanded me, so I do.
Get up, let us go from here.