A deeper look at the strange words: ‘Eat my flesh and drink my blood’
—Part 11: John 6:25–71
- Andrew Fountain – Dec 1, 2019
Click on this slide and then press the spacebar to advance slides: ➜ (or swipe on a touch screen)
John 6:25–71 – Eat my flesh and drink my blood
- Very brief recap of the story so far
- A careful reading of John 6
- How can we eat Jesus’ flesh and drink his blood?
- A Challenge to Feed on Jesus
- Jesus said that people had to eat his flesh and drink his blood!
- What on earth is he talking about?
- v.57: “Just as the living Father sent me, and I live because of the Father, so the one who consumes me will live because of me.”
Key: John 4:32–34
- But he said to them, “I have food to eat that you know nothing about.”
- So the disciples began to say to one another, “No one brought him anything to eat, did they?”
- Jesus said to them, “My food is to do the will of the one who sent me and to complete his work.”
John 6: Jesus relationship with the Father a pattern for us
- Just as the living Father sent me, and I live because of the Father,
so the person who eats me will live because of me.
Summary: How Jesus relates to his Father
- Jesus lived every moment and breathed every breath to obey the will of the Father.
- To do the Father’s will was his drink, his meat. It was everything to him.
- He did not do anything in his own strength but did everything by the power that flowed from the Father.
- He is calling us to relate to him in the same way
- This might seem like death, but actually it is the way to life
Light from the Old Testament
- The word blood is used frequently in the Bible to mean violent death. Two very relevant stories:
- “When the wicked came against me to eat up my flesh, my enemies and foes, they stumbled and fell.” -Ps 27:2
- David was on the run from Saul, he remarked how much he would love a drink from the well of Bethlehem…
- “Far be it from me, O my God, that I should do this!
Shall I drink the blood of these men who have put their lives in jeopardy? For at the risk of their lives they brought it.” -1 Chron 11:19
- Summary: Enjoying the benefits which come at the expense of his life
Jesus is teaching us that
- We need to depend on him utterly,
moment by moment,
in order to survive
- “Eating and drinking Christ”
- Is there anything else that does?
- Trusting/Believing Christ
- Coming to Christ
- obeying Christ’s words and abiding in them.
- Four things that result in everlasting life
John 6 Feeding on Jesus
- Jesus said to them, “I tell you the solemn truth,
unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in yourselves.
- The one who eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day.
- For my flesh is true food, and my blood is true drink.
- The one who eats my flesh and drinks my blood resides in me, and I in him.