The extraordinary poem hidden in the first 18 verses of John
—John 1:1–18 – The Proglogue
- Andrew Fountain – Sept 8, 2019
Click on this slide and then press the spacebar to advance slides: ➜ (or swipe on a touch screen)
To be impacted by the power and the beauty
of the painting of Jesus
at the beginning of John.
- Explain what we are doing
- Work through the passage, verse by verse
- Ask how we should respond to it
The Gospel of John is like a pool,
shallow enough around the edge for a child to play,
but so deep that no diver can reach the bottom.
Themes in John
- The life of God has come down to earth, so we can partake in the divine
- This life is received by faith—believing in Jesus. How does that happen?
How should we respond to it?
- Jesus came that we could be “born of God”
Grasp the difference between the Old and the New
What is From Below and what is From Above
Live with a focus on the New, not the Old
- Think of how precious Jesus is to you.
He has come from the Father’s side, to you
So that you might have his life