The Central Message of Hebrews (pt.5)
- Andrew Fountain – Feb 12, 2017
Click on this slide and then press the spacebar to advance slides: ➜ (or swipe on a touch screen)
The problem then:
- is this new way worth suffering for?
- is it worth dying for?
- how sure can I be that it is better than the old?
- Does it give me better access to God?
The problem now:
- There are huge forces active in this world
- natural disasters, the whole economic system could collapse
- We hear about more war and killing than ever
- Plus personal disasters, loved ones dying or leaving us
- Does God care, or will he abandon me
- If he does, how do I get access to him?
The book of Hebrews is about:
- persevering in trusting God, even in difficulty
- but how can I be sure it is going to work? That this is the truth?
- If I am sure then I will persevere and not fall away
- Faith always needs to based on a sure rock
- Christ became human and in his weakness overcame sin,
so now we can relate to him and look to him as the ultimate sacrifice.
- He has become the reality of the Old Testament picture of the promise.
- In him there is the new tabernacle which is God’s direct presence.
- Jesus’ blood is the sacrifice.
- This is the new promise and covenant.
- And so we can live in the promise today
- and rest in the promise
- and hold on to Christ in the hard times
- with faith that we will receive our inheritance in the things (promises) that are unseen,
- and in this promise we can live a life of Christ and love one another.
What a priest is and why do we need one?
- Vos: The Teaching of the Epistle to the Hebrews p.94–95
- You have direct access to centre of the universe
- A perfect priest brings you to God
- He has made a new way for you: Straight in!
- And he had cleansed you so thoroughly that you can walk in with total confidence
“We have this hope as an anchor for the soul, sure and steadfast”