The Message of Jesus in Luke
- “The Spirit of the Lord is upon me,
because he has anointed me to proclaim good news to the poor.
He has sent me to proclaim release to the captives
and the regaining of sight to the blind,
to set free those who are oppressed,
- to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favour.”
- Then he came down with them and stood on a level place. And a large number of his disciples had gathered along with a vast multitude from all over Judea, from Jerusalem, and from the seacoast of Tyre and Sidon. They came to hear him and to be healed of their diseases,
- and those who suffered from unclean spirits were cured.
- The whole crowd was trying to touch him, because power was coming out from him and healing them all.
- Then he looked up at his disciples and said:
“Blessed are you who are poor, for the kingdom of God belongs to you.
- “Blessed are you who hunger now, for you will be satisfied.
“Blessed are you who weep now, for you will laugh.
- At that very time Jesus cured many people of diseases, sicknesses, and evil spirits, and granted sight to many who were blind.
- So he answered them, “Go tell John what you have seen and heard: The blind see, the lame walk, lepers are cleansed, the deaf hear, the dead are raised, the poor have good news proclaimed to them.
- Blessed is anyone who takes no offense at me.”
Updated on 2009-09-06 by Andrew Fountain