Matthew 10:29-39, 11:28-30, 12:15-23, 16:24-26, 23:4
- Matthew 10:29-39
- Aren’t two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them falls to the ground apart from your Father’s will.
- Even all the hairs on your head are numbered.
- So do not be afraid; you are more valuable than many sparrows.
- “Whoever, then, acknowledges me before people, I will acknowledge before my Father in heaven.
- But whoever denies me before people, I will deny him also before my Father in heaven.
- “Do not think that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I have not come to bring peace but a sword.
- For I have come to set a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law,
- and a man’s enemies will be the members of his household.
- “Whoever loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me, and whoever loves son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.
- And whoever does not take up his cross and follow me is not worthy of me.
- Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life because of me will find it.
- Matthew 11:28-30
- Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.
- Take my yoke on you and learn from me, because I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.
- For my yoke is easy to bear, and my load is not hard to carry.”
- Matthew 12:15-23
- Now when Jesus learned of this, he went away from there. Great crowds followed him, and he healed them all.
- But he sternly warned them not to make him known.
- This fulfilled what was spoken by Isaiah the prophet:
- “Here is my servant whom I have chosen,
the one I love, in whom I take great delight.
I will put my Spirit on him, and he will proclaim justice to the nations.
- He will not quarrel or cry out,
nor will anyone hear his voice in the streets.
- He will not break a bruised reed or extinguish a smoldering wick,
until he brings justice to victory.
- And in his name the nations will hope.”
- Then they brought to him a demon-possessed man who was blind and mute. Jesus healed him so that he could speak and see.
- All the crowds were amazed and said, “Could this one be the Son of David?”
- Matthew 16:24-26
- Then Jesus said to his disciples, “If anyone wants to become my follower, he must deny himself, take up his cross, and follow me.
- For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will find it.
- For what does it benefit a person if he gains the whole world but forfeits his life? Or what can a person give in exchange for his life?
- Matthew 23:4
- They tie up heavy burdens, hard to bear, and lay them on people’s shoulders, but they themselves are not willing to move them with their finger.
Updated on 2009-06-21 (r.7) by Andrew Fountain