Full sermon notes - Prayer and the Presence of God
- Close connection between prayer and the manifest supernatural presence of God.
- Jesus’ baptism in the Spirit—Luke 3:21,22
- Now when all the people were baptized, and when Jesus also had been baptized and was praying, the heavens were opened,
- and the Holy Spirit descended on him in bodily form, like a dove; and a voice came from heaven, “You are my beloved Son; with you I am well pleased.”
- Jesus’ transfiguration—Luke 9:28-29
- Now about eight days after these sayings he took with him Peter and John and James and went up on the mountain to pray.
- And as he was praying, the appearance of his face was altered, and his clothing became dazzling white.
- Ask the Father and he will give us the Spirit-
- And he said to them, “When you pray, say: “Father, hallowed be your name. Your kingdom come.
- Give us each day our daily bread, 4and forgive us our sins, for we ourselves forgive everyone who is indebted to us. And lead us not into temptation.”
- What father among you, if his son asks for a fish, will instead of a fish give him a serpent; 12or if he asks for an egg, will give him a scorpion?
- If you then, bad as you are, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will the heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!”
- Even Jesus prays all night when he needs guidance for a specific decision
- In these days he went out to the mountain to pray, and all night he continued in prayer to God.
- And when day came, he called his disciples and chose from them twelve, whom he named apostles:
- Prayer and healing difficult cases
- A member of the crowd said to him, “Teacher, I brought you my son, who is possessed by a spirit that makes him mute.
- Whenever it seizes him, it throws him down, and he foams at the mouth, grinds his teeth, and becomes rigid. I asked your disciples to cast it out, but they were not able to do so.”
- …And when he had entered the house, his disciples asked him privately, “Why could we not cast it out?”
- And he said to them, “This kind cannot be driven out by anything but prayer.”
- Disciples are praying in the upper room
- All these with one accord were devoting themselves to prayer, together with the women and Mary the mother of Jesus, and his brothers.
- When the day of Pentecost arrived, they were all together in one place.
“Second Pentecost”—Acts 4:29-31
- And now, Lord, look upon their threats and grant to your servants to continue to speak your word with all boldness,
- while you stretch out your hand to heal, and signs and wonders are performed through the name of your holy servant Jesus.”
- And when they had prayed, the place in which they were gathered together was shaken, and they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and continued to speak the word of God with boldness.
Receiving the Spirit
- Samaritans receive the Spirit—Acts 8:15
- who came down and prayed for them that they might receive the Holy Spirit,
- Tabitha raised from the dead—Acts 9:40
- But Peter put them all outside, and knelt down and prayed; and turning to the body he said, “Tabitha, arise.” And she opened her eyes, and when she saw Peter she sat up.
- Peter has a vision while praying—Act 10:9
- The next day, as they were on their journey and approaching the city, Peter went up on the housetop about the sixth hour to pray.
- Peter freed from prison—Acts 12:5
- So Peter was kept in prison, but earnest prayer for him was made to God by the church.
Commissioning of Paul and Barnabas—Acts 13:1
- Now there were in the church at Antioch prophets and teachers, Barnabas, Simeon who was called Niger, Lucius of Cyrene, Manaen a member of the court of Herod the tetrarch, and Saul.
- While they were worshiping the Lord and fasting, the Holy Spirit said, “Set apart for me Barnabas and Saul for the work to which I have called them.”
- Then after fasting and praying they laid their hands on them and sent them off.
- So, being sent out by the Holy Spirit, they went down to Seleucia, and from there they sailed to Cyprus.
Paul’s prayers in Acts
- Choosing of elders—Acts 14:23 “And when they had appointed elders for them in every church, with prayer and fasting they committed them to the Lord in whom they had believed.”
- Earthquake—Acts 16:25 “About midnight Paul and Silas were praying and singing hymns to God, and the prisoners were listening to them,”
- A Vision—Acts 22:17-18 “When I had returned to Jerusalem and was praying in the temple, I fell into a trance and saw him saying to me, ‘Make haste and get out of Jerusalem quickly, because they will not accept your testimony about me.’
- Healing—Acts 28:8 It happened that the father of Publius lay sick with fever and dysentery. And Paul visited him and prayed, and putting his hands on him healed him.
- James tells us to pray for the sick
- Is anyone among you sick? Let him call for the elders of the church, and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord.
- And the prayer of faith will save the one who is sick, and the Lord will raise him up. And if he has committed sins, he will be forgiven.
- Therefore, confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person has great power as it is working.
- Elijah was a man with a nature like ours, and he prayed fervently that it might not rain, and for three years and six months it did not rain on the earth.
- Then he prayed again, and heaven gave rain, and the earth bore its fruit.
The Way Forward
- The only way forward is through prayer
- Tope Koleoso “Signs and Wonders Today”
- We have to be a people of prayer if we want God’s supernatural presence
- If Jesus needed to depend so much on prayer, how much more do we?
- I want you pick five people or situations to pray for this month
- can be more or less if need be
- Can you chose one or two now
- Let’s pray
Updated on 2011-10-25 by Andrew Fountain